Monday, September 13, 2010

Sunshine in the Forecast!


As I was getting ready for church yesterday morning, I was listening to the Mormon Channel on my iPhone.  I do that most mornings and I have really enjoyed the positive and uplifting start it gives to my day.  I, also, enjoy the "food for thought" it gives me.  Some days those thoughts lead me down interesting trails of thoughts.  I'm sure you know what I mean.

The program "Conversations" was on.  The interview was with a BYU professor of Church History and author, Susan Easton Black.  She had some wonderful words of wisdom.  Here's three that really stood out:
  1. When discouraged look up and live...move forward.
  2. If you try to top someone on sorrows, you won't have many friends.
  3. Small people talk about people.  Medium people talk about events.  Large people talk about ideas.
She then told of a time when she was a student at BYU.  She and her roommate were both from the LA area and thought Provo was such a small town.  They decided to go to Salt Lake for some "excitement" and kept being pulled towards Temple Square.   President David O. McKay was the prophet at the time and they heard that he lived at Hotel Utah which is now the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.  They wanted to find out which room he lived in and "pay him a visit".  They found out quickly that no one was about to tell them which room he lived in so they decided to go room to room, floor by floor.  After many doors they had not found him but saw a cleaning woman come out of one of the suites.  They asked her which room President McKay lived in and she pointed to a door down the hallway.  They came up with a story that they were taking orders for Girl Scout cookies to tell him if he answered!  (I thought it was interesting that they thought it was okay to lie to the prophet!  Ha!)  As they approached the door, her roommate chickened out and started running the opposite way.  Susan knocked on the door and President McKay opened the door.

She was awestruck.  She knew the minute she looked into his eyes that he was the Prophet of God.  She fessed up and told him what she and her roommate were doing and just wanted to meet him.  He invited them into his suite and they sat in his study.  After a few minutes of conversation, she asked him for just one piece of counsel.  He looked at her and said, "Be happy." 

She realized those two words packed a big statement.  The true way to real happiness is by being obedient and living the gospel.  She has since had a life with many big trials.  One of which her husband left her and their 3 boys when they were all 3 and under.  But she found a way to go to college and get her Doctorate degree.  She did her best to "be happy" under hard trials.  I thought it was an amazing story and I didn't do it justice but I had to share it.

We make the choice to be happy.  President Hinckley said, "You can be smart and happy or stupid and miserable."  I've learned that being happy requires a conscientious effort.  I have to remind myself of it daily.  Some days it's easier than others.  But I hope I'm on my way to more sunny days! 

Lots of hugs!

(Thanks, Nancy, for reminding me of President Hinckley's quote!)


3 comments:

melanie said...

Fabulous, fabulous post! I've already read it twice.

I've learned in life that we all have 'stuff' and there is no way to move on and be happy if we dwell on said 'stuff'. So many more great and important things waiting right before our eyes. Thanks for sharing!

Nancy Mc said...

I may just have to read this post everyday. I do not do so well at the be happy part. sometimes---to often I get stuck...

JanaLee said...

Thanks for the uplift! Lots of hugs & loves to ya!!