Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Rain, Rain...Go AWAY!



Look!  No fridge!
And no sink!
Found the fridge in the dining room!  Might be convenient!
Found the sink in the garage...Not so convenient!
Definitely not convenient!
And guess where I found the stove?  Not good at all!

So you might be asking yourself, "What is going on in the Wyman's kitchen?"  Well, let's go back to mid-July.....

The 3rd week in July I had driven with Mom and Dad to Utah to the Lyman and LaVoy Chlarson reunion.  When I came back home, I was in the kitchen and when I walked in front of the stove, the rug was wet.  As I looked around I saw that there was water on top of the stove top!  What?  Hubby and I searched to see where it might have come from but we were clueless.  (My PI hat was not on at the time!)  We wiped it up and scratched our heads!  We thought of all sorts of scenarios! Then decided, if something was going on, it would raise it's ugly head again!

A couple of days later I came home from work and I was talking to Milo on the phone.  As I walked across the rug in front of the stove, it was wet again and a small puddle of water was on the stove top.  He said, "Mom, I think you need to pull out your stove."  I did and the drywall behind the stove had water damage!!  Ugh! 

This is where my PI training came in handy!  Yes, I was a PI in a previous life!   You may not have known that about me!  I have the nose for investigating...really, I do!  Must be the challenge in it because I do love a challenge!   I've always wanted to be part of a stakeout!  So, as I put on my Sherlock Holmes hat, or Colombo rain coat (whichever you want to envision!) and although not discovering it on the first go around, when Hubby got home we checked out our sprinkler system.  WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT A DRIP LINE COULD SHOOT A 12 FOOT GUSHER AGAINST THE HOUSE AND IN THROUGH THE FAN VENT?  And who would know it was happening when your sprinkler system waters in the wee hours of the morning?  


We called in a restoration company and it's gone from bad to worse!  Mold...yucky mold!  And from a 2 day job, to a "just over a week" job, and now we really don't know how long it's going to take to:
  • Pull out wet insulation and replace it
  • Replace drywall
  • Replace sub floor
  • Replace tile
  • Replace counter tops
In the meantime, we have no kitchen or washer and dryer!  Our microwave is still functioning so it's frozen dinners for probably way too long!!  

On a positive note...I get new tile and new counter tops.  
 
On even a more positive note...I love my life.  I love my family.  I have a sweet and supportive Hubby.  I have the best of the best children who have given us the sweetest, cutest, funniest, etc., grandkids.  I have my Mom and Dad who are close by, healthy, and still a daily part of my life who I still rely on for counsel and comfort.  I'm blessed to know that the trials I endure are for my growth.   And I know I am a daughter of a loving Father in Heaven.  We have been going through some challenges this year, but it's all the above that help me and get me through.  

There is ALWAYS a rainbow!










5 comments:

melanie said...

Yeah, a new sink!!! I've waited a long time for one. :)

It is what it is right, so attitude is everything. You've got a great outlook and frozen dinners aren't too bad. There is always a silver lining, I'm glad you look for it and share it with others. Can't wait to see the new kitchen....whenever that might be! Love you!

Nancy Mc said...

I love this post. (You do need to teach me how to add that little READ MORE>>> tool.)
Does insurance cover any of this?
You are so positive! I love how you ended the post with listing the things that you love and are blessed with. Thanks for the upbeat post:) XOXOXO

Mishelle Noyes said...

WoW!! That sure looks like a mess! But glad it happened to you because you have "High Hopes" and "High Spirits". Sometimes I pray something like that would happen to my kitchen. But my house is another story. We Love you! Keep smiling!

JanaLee said...

Holy heck!! Mom had told me what happened but it's a whole other story to see the pictures. Honestly...I'm a little jealous! I need an updated kitchen real bad! I'm sure the incovenience is no fun, but just think of when it's all done and how fun that will be!! OH, you might want to keep and eye on those sprinkler heads! What a bizarre situation! Love ya tons!!

Shaila Lou said...

Holy cow! You didn't tell me they took out all your appliances as well. I feel so out of the loop living so far away. When we come home, your kitchen won't even look the same.

I love you much!