Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Forever Families...








Granny & Grandpa Chlarson
(Lyman & LaVoy)


It's been an emotional week. Last week my cousin, Jill Chlarson Reid's grandaughter, Emily Hammond, passed away. She was 4 1/2 years old and born with a chromosome disorder. Then Sunday, my cousin, Eddie Chlarson, who was just a year older than me died suddenly. Today was Emily's funeral in Quincy. Her dad is from Quincy and married my cousin's daughter! It's a small world!

It was so good to see some of my Chlarson cousins. Aunt Ruth was there, Jill, Camille, Julie, and Ted. (Aunt Ruth was married to my dad's brother, Uncle Varsel. Yes, Varsel Chlarson! Try saying that a few times!!) I hadn't seen those cousins for years! It was so good to see them all! We could have talked for days! Camille and I vowed to keep in touch! (Why didn't I take pictures? Ugh!)

Why do we let so many years go by and not see extended family? Yes, we live in Washington and most of my relatives live in Utah. There's a Lyman and LaVoy Chlarson reunion every two years in Honeyville. Why haven't I made the effort to go?

Two years ago we went to Utah for General Conference while Leisha and Richard were living in Provo. I called Aunt Joyce (Dad's sister) and we took her to dinner. I hadn't seen her for years, either. The next day before we went to Conference we met my cousin Bruce at Aunt Joyce's home. Bruce and I are the same age and was my favorite Chlarson cousin. It was wonderful to see him!

Families are the center of our Heavenly Father's plan. Our church declares in "The Proclamation to the World" that ...."The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally."
I'm thankful for having that knowledge and knowing that it is true. I'm thankful for all of my family....Every one of them! Yes, my kids and grandkids are the joy and center of my world but my extended family will always be close to my heart even though time and distance keeps us apart. I love every one of you!
I vow to make more of an effort! To take the time for the important things in this life....Family. After all, the things of this world are not forever, but our family is!

4 comments:

SANDERSON / MCCONKIE FAMILY said...

You are GREAT with family! I am amazed at all you do. I am trying to be better with extended family too! We have had very little contact with one side of my family and I love getting to know them. I have had many contacts just from posting my blog. Even my daughter's old boyfriend. Go figure?!? It does matter and I too will try and do better!

Kathy’s Korner said...

I love extended family, too and time really goes fast and long between visits. Too bad it has to be a funeral that gets us together, but it is good that when that happens the bond is still strong. I am sure it will be a great day when we are all together on the other side. Time and distance are barriers to us, Ugh.

melanie said...

I love my extended family too. I have such awesome cousin and grandparent memories. What I want for our kids too. Thanks for helping with that.

I'm glad you had a chance to reconnect. I love the feeling that even though it's been years everyone can pick right up.

Great Proclamation quote.

Shaila Lou said...

I'm sorry it's been an emotional week. I forgot the funeral was today, I didn't even have a chance to ever talk to you today. I want to know how it was!

How grateful I am for the knowledge of eternal families! I'm thankful that I have a testimony of it as well!

I cherish my memories with my grandparents and cousins. I miss those innocent days!

I love you Mom!